What is ESP8266 and Wemos?
As I said in a previous post I was looking for a project to keep me busy for a few weeks while I have been separated from my regular tool-kit and components collection. I had been giving some thought to IoT/smart home related projects so decided to focus on that area. A bit of searching got me onto ESP8266 chips and some related boards.
What is ESP8266?
Basically it’s a programmable system-on-chip (SOC), like an Arduino but with built in WiFi and heaps of memory.
- they have built in WiFi
- they have a ton of memory compared to the Arduino boards (well the small ones anyway, like Nano and Pro)
- they have a bunch of pins to connect to sensors, displays etc.
- they are cheap
- they are tiny
- you have a few choices for development tools
- Arduino IDE (C++)
- NodeMCU using Lua – That’s what I am using in this blog
- AT commands
- ???? Probably more I don’t know about
- they are shiny